Bendigo Community Bank Parkdale Gift – Sporting Carnival
On February 2 – 2019, Parkdale’s Gerry Green Reserve will again be transformed into a smorgasbord of sporting and social activity that includes:
- The Bendigo Community Bank Parkdale Gift for both Men and Women returns to Parkdale after a successful return of the Gift in March 2018 (originally held in 1963/4) worth $5,000 each.
- The inclusion of Cleanaway (www.cleanaway.com.au) as a terrific supporter of local events in Kingston is the new naming rights sponsor of the ‘Cleanaway 400m Open” With prize money of $5,000 it is the second richest 400m on the Victorian Athletic League calendar.
- Other activities include:
- The “Golden Gloves” Boxing Tournament
- Tennis Victoria – fastest serve
- Bayside Schools U/16 Championship
- Hodges Healthy Start event (mass yoga & pilates)
- Twilight market
- Leader News activations
- Food and activities for all
Parkdale Gift Organiser – Tim Mason said “The resurgence of the Parkdale last year (after 54 years) is more than a running race – Our focus is not only the athletes but the involvement of the community including the local clubs, businesses and schools and providing a huge variety of events for everyone. The involvement of the Indigenous community from the Kimberley’s looks like again being a highlight in 2019. The support of the Parkdale Cricket Club to allow us to move dates is indicative of the support of the local community.”
Many athletes will travel nationally – include defending champions in 2018 from Western Australia –
The Women’s winner Kiara Reddingius said “Parkdale was a fantastic initiative, and the prize money is enough to encourage interstate athletes to make the trip, it certainly made the decision for Evan and I to come over, it enabled us to have a hit out before Stawell, and cover the cost of our trip. To the sponsors, please realise the positive contribution professional races make to developing athletes from all over Australia: I personally would not be half the athlete I am today without them. See you for 2019!
The Men’s winner Evan Jarvis said – “Parkdale is the first Victorian race I have won as a pro runner. Evans flight were delayed the night before and he got to his accommodation at 3am. The weather didn’t really damper the race. It was really exciting to win the last race before Stawell. I am looking forward to coming over again in February to defend my title”!
For Further Information contact:
Tim Mason – President of Parkdale Gift
0456 985 201 or email@example.com